Are you looking to cancel a flight that you booked with American Airlines?? Here I am for your help. American Airlines Name Change is easy to do. I will make you explain the process that how you can change or edit your name at American Airlines.
You can’t wait to book that flight with American airlines and fly off to the world, visit family members, or schedule that necessary work meeting. You provide all the required information, click the “buy” button, book your flight with an American airlines, and carry on with your everyday activities while waiting for your journey.
But wait, did you remember to write the correct name in the reservation? What if the spelling of your name is wrong on your American airlines ticket? You probably didn’t, but you’re not the only one. After all, we don’t frequently forget our names’ spelling or write our names wrong anywhere, so leaving it off when purchasing an airline ticket is not odd.
But does changing your name on your American Airlines ticket cause a problem when you fly?
American Airlines is one of the largest airlines in the world, with a history that dates back to 1926. Over the years, the airlines has undergone several changes, including mergers and acquisitions and other changes to make their passengers’ journey easy and safe, but one of the most significant changes is its name change policy.
If you are looking to book a flight with American Airlines, it’s important to understand the American Airlines name change policy to avoid any inconvenience or additional charges. You have to pay for the name correction fee on American Airlines.
According to TSA Government-Required Documents, airlines need to collect secure flight passenger data. That’s why American Airlines has given clear information to the passengers that the name used for booking their ticket must match their government-issued ID. Since your government-issued ID usually contains your correct name spelling, what happens if you have Misspelled Name on Airline Ticket?
Here is everything you should know about American airlines name change policy:
What Is the American Airlines Name Change Policy?
As one of the largest airlines, the American airlines name change policy must be easy to understand. That’s why American airlines provide clear information on their name change policy, so they can provide good customer satisfaction to their passengers. In this article, we have provided almost the information you need to know about American Airlines name change policy.
Here are some points according to American airlines name change policy:
- American Airlines allows passengers to correct minor errors in the spelling of their name, such as a typo or misspelling, by contacting customer service.
- You must cancel your current reservation and make a new one if you need to change the name on it. In addition, you’ll be responsible for any fees related to changing or canceling your ticket.
- American Airlines allows name changes in certain circumstances, such as marriage or divorce, gender reassignment, death, or military orders.
- To make a name change, you’ll need to provide valid documentation to support your requests, such as a marriage or divorce certificate, legal documents showing gender reassignment, or military orders.
- Depending on the type of fare you bought, the location, and the time of the change, different reservations have different prices for name changes.
- For minor changes in your airline ticket, American airlines do not take any fees. And change it in an easy way. You can simply go to their website, look for your reservation and change the minor mistake you have made.
- But if the changes are big the normal fees range is $20-25. Along with that you will also be required to pay a correction fee, which is $200 for domestic reservations and $700 for overseas ones.
How do I change the name on an American Airlines ticket?
American Airlines name correction is available both offline and online. You just have to take some steps so you can change your name on your American Airlines ticket. The information below serves as a guide for you.
If you follow these instructions step by step, you will soon get a ticket with your exact name.
- Open the airline’s official website to begin the procedure. Or dial +1 802 200 905
- Next, select the “My Trips” link found in the website’s title bar.
- Describe your reservation here. You will need the first and last name you used to book the ticket, as well as the reference number.
- After you click the “Find Reservation” button, your reservation will show up on the screen.
- Choose the ticket you wish to change the name on, type the new name, and then click the confirm button.
The airline will notify you of the updates and give you a confirmation email. Since the airline does not make corrections frequently, make sure you enter the correct name this time.
Type of Name change in American Name Change Policy
- Minor Name Correction: If the travelers made slight mistakes while entering the name. It can be corrected without paying any additional fees to the airlines. It should also be noted such changes must be done within 24 hours of ticket booking. This feature is only available on American Airlines and American Eagle flights only.
- Major Name Correction: This includes a change in the last name of the passengers. Only “R” inventory and codeshare flight segments on the airlines are required for this to be possible. Since changing an existing or previous PNR number is not permitted, a new PNR number was necessary.
- The two main categories and circumstances under which the airlines permit the passengers to modify their name on the flight ticket are listed below.
How much does American Airlines Charge to change the Name?
As mentioned above for minor changes it’s completely free to do so.
- However, in case of changing the whole name or completing the last word.
- You need to pay $25 as a fee in order to change the name.
- It also is noted to request the same as soon as possible ( max in 24 hours )
American Airlines Ticket Transfer to Another Person
If you wonder if you can change your name with another person’s name for American Airlines once the ticket is booked then it’s not possible in general. There is a difference between name change and name correction when we talk about airline policy. Almost every airline lets you make a minor change in name if filled wrong by you for free. In cases of changing surnames they might ask for correction fees. However it’s not permitted to transfer your ticket to another person.
According to airline passengers safety policies, each passenger must have a valid identity whoever is traveling in flight. So if you transfer your ticket to another person’s name it might violate the policy. So it’s not possible to do so. However, it is recommended to contact the airline in case they allow so.
One of the practical solutions for this case is to cancel your ticket as soon as possible so you won’t be charged high cancellation fees. Then book a new ticket for the person’s name you want to. It might cost you a few USD but it will save you from contacting airlines and worrying about tickets.
Also, check this out
American Airline Carry On Size
American Airline Carry On Size:
The maximum size for a carry-on bag on American Airlines is 22 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches (56 cm x 36 cm x 23 cm), including handles and wheels. Any bags that exceed these dimensions will need to be checked in instead of carried on.
As long as it can fit under the seat in front of you. American Airlines also permits passengers to bring one personal item, such as a purse or small backpack. A personal item may not exceed these dimensions: 18 inches by 14 inches by 8 inches (45 cm x 35 cm x 20 cm).
It’s always a good idea to double-check the airline’s website for their specific carry-on size restrictions, as they can sometimes vary between airlines.
Can We Bring 2 Bags With Us At American Airline?
American Airline Carry On Size allows passengers to bring two bags with them on board – one carry-on bag and one personal item. The carry-on bag must meet the size restrictions of 22 inches x 14 inches x 9 inches (56 cm x 36 cm x 23 cm), including handles and wheels, and the personal item must be smaller and able to fit under the seat in front of you with a maximum size of 18 inches x 14 inches x 8 inches (45 cm x 35 cm x 20 cm).
Change Name on American Airlines due to Marriage
Generally, any airline doesn’t allow you to name change or transfer to another person. However, what if your spouse put your wrong name at the time of booking? You are eligible to change your surname under the major change policy.
The steps below can be used if you need to alter your name on American Airlines as a result of getting married:
- Collect your marriage license: You’ll need to present proof of your union, often in the form of a marriage license.
- Call American Airlines to start the name change procedure: You can get in touch with American Airlines by phone or through their website. To make the modification, you must get in touch with the website or travel agency where you made your reservation for the flight.
- Provide your contact information: You will need to present your marriage certificate, your booking confirmation number, your current name and the name you wish to alter it to.
- Pay the fees: Changing your name on your ticket can incur a charge. As you begin the name change procedure, you must pay this cost.
- Get confirmation: American Airlines will send you a letter or email to confirm that their system has corrected your name.
It’s important to note that you should update your name on your travel documents, including your passport, driver’s license, and other identification, to avoid any issues or delays during your travels.
American Airlines, being the largest airline, has a strict name change policy, and it’s important to understand the policy before making a reservation. If you made a mistake in your name during the reservation process or need to change your name on your reservation, be prepared to pay a fee and provide valid documentation to support your request. Minor changes in the American name change policy could be made for free, but if you have to make a major change, the fees could be high.
So before booking your flight with American airlines, make sure your name is the same as on your government ID proof. So you do not have to face any inconveniences.
If you’re unsure about the policy or need assistance, contact American Airlines customer service, and they’ll be happy to help you navigate the process.
- How to change the name on an American airlines ticket?
Changing a name in an American airline is not that hard until you have made a major mistake. You just need some important documents and can change your name on the American airline’s official website or can call their customer service.
2. How much is it to change an American airlines Ticket name?
According to American Airlines name change policy, for minor changes in your airline ticket, American does not charge any fees. But for any big changes, the normal fee range is $20-25. Along with that, you will also be required to pay a correction fee, which is $200 for domestic reservations and $700 for overseas ones.
3. How much time does American Airlines require to change my name?
Contact Advantage customer support at 800-882-8880 or +1-860-590-8822 if you lose your login information. You will receive an email from American Airlines customer support, to which you must reply with copies of your marriage license and certified identification card. After a few days, your name will appear in the email.
4. Can I update my name on a basic economy ticket on American Airlines?
Tickets purchased on American Airlines’ primary economy flights cannot be changed or refunded.
5. How To Make Name Corrections for Non-English word in American Airline
To make a name correction on American Airlines with a non-English word, you need to contact American airline directly and provide the correct spelling of your name and the necessary documents. And wait for the confirmation update.
Also Read:- United Airlines Name Change Policy